- The globe represents the world and above it is the snake, which represents the sin that Eve committed
- The base of the monument measures eleven meters and thirty meters the image of the Blessed Virgin
- Upon entering the monument visitors are at 3016 m.a.s.l. and when arriving at the viewpoint at 3027 m.s.n.m.
- The weight of the statue is 124,000 kilograms
- The Virgin’s open wing measures 90 square meters. These pieces were assembled on land and then assembled to the body
- The crown of the Virgin is composed of 12 stars representing the 12 apostles or the 12 tribes of Israel
The Panecillo is a natural elevation of 3,000 meters above sea level, it was baptized with this name for its resemblance to a small bread; It is nestled in the very heart of the city of Quito. It is one of the most visited sites in the city. Due to its location it has become the most important natural viewpoint of the city, from which you can see the urban layout of the capital, from its historic center and towards the north and south ends.
The place received its name from the Spanish conquerors, because before it was called by the aborigines as “Shungoloma” which in Quichua means “hill of the heart”. In the pre-Inca era, on this site there was a temple of sun worship, called “Yavirac”, which was destroyed by Rumiñahui while resisting the Spanish advance with his troops.